The Greedy Girl and I are good friends with the lovely VickiPetticoat.
And, after a random encounter in Solita some time back, we now regularly meet up for food and booze filled days.
Given a shared love of cocktails and an upcoming birthday, the missus challenged (well, ordered) me to make a cocktail for the celebrations. And let’s face it, the ‘Mrs Petticoat’ is a damn good name for a cocktail.
My challenge was given some parameters, the rather fancy idea of using some posh candyfloss as garnish (more on that later), and bringing plum wine into the mix after some initial research into cocktail ideas.
Fast forward to a Saturday afternoon and I started to investigate and play, and, after a couple of average attempts, something clicked and I ended up with my winner. So without further ado…
The Mrs Petticoat
- 60ml Japanese plum wine
- 30ml bourbon (I went for buffalo trace)
- 3 dashes angostura bitters
- 2 bar spoons of Luxardo cherry syrup (straight from a jar of these amazing cherries)
- Small slice of orange rind
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with plenty of ice
- Shake well for 15/20 seconds
- Double strain into a coupette glass
- Another small slice of orange rind
- Some candy floss (I used Pariya brand, orange blossom flavour)
- A piece of physalis fruit
Pop the physalis on top of a cocktail stick, put a little bit of candy floss underneath it then the orange rind underneath (peel side facing upwards so as to not dampen the candyfloss). The concept here is to make something that resembles a fluffy petticoat – a notion from the head of The Greedy Girl.
So there you have it, a drink that looks pretty and feminine, with a nice underlying boozy kick – much like its namesake.
Happy birthday Vicki I hope you like your signature drink! Promise to make you one when we see you next…