In the Greedy household we do love a good steak, but over the past few months it’s become apparent that I’ve become a little stuck in a rut when it comes to cooking it. Option one is the gorgeous griddled steak with carrot and noodle salad, option two is to melt a big lump of Stilton over it. Both equally delicious on a perfectly pink slab of meat!
However this weekend I fancied a change, and inspired by the infamous ‘Wow!’ sauce of the ‘world famous’ Glenfiddich restaurant I decided to go pink.
- 1 x tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g clarified butter (melt a little more than you need in a small pan, drain off the yellow part, discarding the white solids left at the bottom).
- 2 x steaks (we went ribeye)
- 1 x knob of butter
- 2 x large shallots (I couldn’t get shallots so went with 1/2 a red onion this time) finely chopped
- 6 x medium mushrooms , sliced
- 3 x tsp pink peppercorns in brine (drained)
- 3 x tbsp brandy
- 100ml red wine
- 200ml good-quality beef stock
- 3 x tbsp double cream
Heat a frying pan over a medium-to-high heat, then pour in the oil and half of the clarified butter. Season the steak with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper and cook to your liking. Transfer to a plate.
Heat the brandy in a metal ladle, light with a match then carefully pour into the hot pan, standing as far back as you can. Once the pan has stopped flaming, remove the steaks again.
Originally taken from BBC Good Food.