This deliciously decadent breakfast is perfect for a special occasion, or just because. Who needs an excuse with food this good?
- 10g butter softened plus extra for buttering
- 185g smoked haddock (skinned and boned)
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 4 x free-range eggs
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Chives – snipped.
- Heat the oven to 190c, fan 170c, gas 5.
- Butter 4 x ramekins and put in a small roasting tin.
- Chop the haddock into roughly 2cm pieces and divide among the dishes.
- Beat the cream with the mustard and a good grind of black pepper.
- Break an egg into each of the pots and pour over the cream mixture.
- Drop a knob of butter into each pot and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Pour enough boiling water into the roasting tin to rise 1/3 of the way up the side of the ramekins.
- Put in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins until the eggs are just set (test by piercing the white with a cocktail stick).
- Transfer to small plates, top with chopped chives and serve with lots of hot buttered toast or muffins.