When anyone asks The Greedy Girl what her last supper would be – and with a bunch of equally greedy friends it’s a topic that comes up rather a lot – she never hesitates to say butter chicken.
It is the meal she wants to celebrate her birthday, the one she wanted after running her first 10k, the one she wants when she’s feeling a bit poorly. The one she wants just because.
It’s fair to say she loves butter chicken. And as such, I love cooking it for her.
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 x garlic cloves
- 2 x tbsp ground almonds
- 3 x tbsp tandoori paste
- 250g Greek yoghurt
- 2 x tbsp ghee (or oil)
- 1 x large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 chicken thighs, halved (don’t be tempted to use breast, it’s just not the same)
- 125 ml chicken stock
- Coriander, a small bunch, chopped
- Heat the grill to a medium heat and oil a baking dish
- Put the ginger, garlic, almonds, yoghurt and tandoori paste into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Heat half the ghee in a large frying pan and cook the onion until soft
- Tip the onion into the baking dish
- Add 1/2 cup of the tandoori mix to the chicken and coat
- Turn up the heat under the pan and add the remaining ghee
- Add the chicken and cook for five mins each side
- Add the remaining mix and stock and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins
- Stir in the coriander
- Pour into the dish and grill for about 3 mins
- Serve with naan breads and/or basmati rice, as well as some plain yoghurt mixed with mint leaves.