When I was experimenting with The Mrs Petticoat, I came across Japanese Plum Wine. It’s a lovely cocktail ingredient, so I’ve been working on how to fit it into another drink.
Now if you are a regular reader of this blog (and if so, hello, pull up a chair), then you’ll know that I love the old school process of making cocktails. As I’ve said before, they’re classics for a reason.
But, even I like to mix up a classic now and again.
Playing around with a few things, I eventually fell into boulevardier territory, which has always been a favourite of mine. A bit of experimentation led to me swapping out the vermouth for the plum wine, and lo and behold the Lost in Translation was born…
- 60ml Rye whisky (I went for Rittenhouse Rye)
- 60ml Japanese plum wine
- 30ml Campari
- Slice of orange peel for garnish
- Prepare your old fashioned glass with a large ice cube
- Add all ingredients (apart from the orange peel) into a separate mixing glass with plenty of ice
- Stir gently for 30 seconds
- Strain your drink into your glass
- Give your orange peel a little twist to release some of the orange oil over your drink
- Add your peel to the drink as a garnish, and enjoy.